LITERACY INITIATIVES COORDINATOR
The Literacy Initiatives Coordinator will implement Guilford County’s early literacy strategic plan.
The plan includes implementation of the Basics Guilford, a community-wide educational
campaign to support healthy brain development of Guilford County’s infants and toddlers,
expansion of Active Reading strategies and book distribution across Guilford County.
The coordinator will possess:
● Knowledge about early literacy theory and community programs serving families
● The ability to work well with families, educators and community service providers.
● A willingness to connect with and work within the faith community.
● Successful history in recruiting, training and maintaining a volunteer base.
The Literacy Initiatives Coordinator will report to the Director of Engagement and Literacy
The Literacy Initiatives Coordinator will support the ongoing implementation of the early literacy
strategic plan for Guilford County focusing on the implementation of the Basics Guilford
community campaign and strategic plan. Key responsibilities include:
● Facilitate Active Reading and the Basics Guilford Workshops.
● Recruit and train volunteers for Active Reading and the Basics Guilford to demonstrate the
approach with families in targeted settings.
● Support distribution of the Basics Guilford materials, tracking distribution locations and
managing follow-up with partnering organizations and businesses.
● Coordinate logistics for meetings of community leaders and volunteer committees.
● Coordinate logistics for book collection and distribution strategies within the early literacy
● Work with City programs and services in Greensboro and High Point to facilitate the creation
of early literacy connecting points within existing structures such as libraries, parks and
● Establish and build relationships with faith and community organizations, providing them
with training and materials to promote the Basics Guilford.
● Obtain memorandums of agreement from partner organizations, systems and educators to
insure proper implementation of the Guilford Basics.
● Support the work of the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading locally.
● Work with community partners to implement texting service for families and caregivers with
● Support the facilitation of an annual review of the Early Childhood Literacy Strategic Plan
● Collect data and track impact of work.
● Work closely with the Director of Engagement and Literacy Initiatives to ensure
implementation of the early literacy strategic plan is comprehensive and countywide.
● As needed, assist the Family Engagement Coordinator with implementing family
● Bachelors’ Degree from an accredited university in early childhood education, child
development, family studies, human services or related field strongly preferred.
● 3-5 years experience working with young children, ages prenatal to 5, and families
● Strong oral and written communication skills.
● Extensive experience training groups.
● Education, training, and/or experience related to the following:
o Communication and ability to relate to diverse groups and perspectives.
o Working with groups of service providers, participating in briefings and
brainstorming sessions, and state/regional/national provider meetings.
o Group facilitation
o Early childhood development
● Ability to work as a member of a team to support both organization goals and
● Ability to effectively work with and be respectful of and sensitive to persons from
various cultures, socioeconomic, ethnic, religious, and racial backgrounds.
● A commitment to Ready for School, Ready for Life’s Values and Principles .
● Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and pass a criminal
and driving background check.
● A willingness to work evenings and weekends.
● Preferred Qualifications:
o Experience training/coaching early childhood educators
o Experience working in an early childhood classroom setting
o Experience implementing literacy programs and initiatives
Compensation & Benefits
Ready for School, Ready for Life offers a competitive compensation package, including
comprehensive health benefits.
Please complete an application on our website . For your application to be considered complete,
a cover letter and resume must be attached.
Position will remain open until filled with priority given to applicants who respond by February
17, 2021 .